NEW: UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS
Although setting a chiming clock may seem like a simple procedure, we have found that there are a few tricks to getting one started properly. One of the most common complaints is being able to get the clock to chime on the quarter hour. Below is a general guide to properly setting up your chiming Seiko clock.
- First, insert the batteries (this will be different for each clock, please see your manual or instructions on the clock on how and where to insert the batteries.
- Set the time using the setting disk (1) to adjust the hour and minute hands to the appropriate time.
- Once you have the time set, you can now select the melody that you would like to chime using switch (3). The first selection, indicated by the number “1” inside a bell symbol is the Westminster melody which includes the quarter hour chime. The second selection marked “2” inside a bell symbol is the Whittington melody which does not include quarterly hour strikes. NOTE: If using the Westminster chime, the clock will need to run for at least 90 minutes before the quarter hour strikes will chime correctly. It is recommended to wait the 90 minutes for the chimes to start working before setting the Nighttime Chime Silencer (step #5).
- After you have set the chime melody, you can use the volume knob (4) to adjust how loud the sound is to your liking.
- The nighttime chime silencer (2) allows you to set when you would like the chimes to play. Although some clocks are equipped with a light sensor, this example is not. If you are setting the clock and it is currently in the a.m., and you do not want the clock to play at night, set the switch to “AM”. If it is currently in the p.m., and you do not want the clock to play at night, set the switch to “PM”. If you would like the chime to play 24 hours a day, set the switch to the bell symbol on the left. Alternatively, if you would like the clock to chime at night (so you can hear the time at night, but not during the day) set the clock to the opposite “AM” or “PM” setting than it is when you set it.
See your instruction booklet on how to hang or release the pendulum if your clock has one. After this, your clock should be ready to enjoy! If you are having any further problems setting your clock, we recommend contacting Seiko’s Customer Service Department for further assistance at 1-800-722-4452.
You can also click here for Updated Instructions